ACHA D1 Nationals Bracket Contest

So, if I’m counting points correctly, here are the leaders going into the semifinals…
(using # of correct picks as a tie-breaker)

1. 280 (14 correct picks) – BigPimpin
  2. 270 (11 correct picks) – tom_ass29
  3. 260 (13 correct picks) – batman
  4. 240 (13 correct picks) – Pitman11k & fishbert
  5. n/a
  6. 240 (11 correct picks) – jwilson
  7. 220 (12 correct picks) – Boris34
  8. 170 (10 correct picks) – puckchk
  9. 140 (7 correct picks) – bromigo

(if you’re counting along at home, you’ll notice I already gave tom_ass29 50 points for one of tomorrow’s semifinals… UCO and Minot play each other, so one of them is guaranteed to be a winner.)

It is impossible for bromigo to gain any more points, as the rest of their picks are already out.
Those who can gain up to 50 more points: batman
Those who can gain up to 100 more points: tom_ass29
Those who can gain up to 150 more points: jwilson, puckchk, fishbert, Pitman11k.
Those who can gain up to 200 more points: BigPimpin, Boris34

BigPimpin wins if Minot or Adrian is champion.
jwilson wins if Ohio is champion.
tom_ass29 wins if UCO is champion.
It is impossible for bromigo, puckchk, fishbert, Boris34, batman, or Pitman11k to win. (sorry)

Lol, I was about to correct your tom_ass29 entry, probably should have read your whole post first…
I also have a fan23 entry from the first few days, that seems like it was deleted. He has 250 points and Ohio over Minot in the championship. But that would mean I couldn’t win, so let’s just disqualify him…

quite a chalk tournament so far. It was nice to see Pitt and Syracuse put up a fight, but I’ve been surprised with some of the score differentials. I think it’s a pretty safe bet any of these teams can win at this point. Good luck to them all!

-jwilson

Thanks for the update. I thought Stony Brook got a tough break in the 3-2 loss to Ohio. With the replays being shown on the broadcast, I’m not sure how the officials overturned the original no goal call to award Ohio their 3rd goal. Very close play with the net coming off and the puck going in almost simultaneously. Just not sure their was enough visual evidence to overturn the original call.

Definitely a close call here, but just to be clear, a goal may still be awarded even if the net is dislodged. Here is the relevant rule:

"26.2 Net Dislodgement - In the event that the goal post is displaced, either
deliberately or accidentally, by a defending player, prior to the puck
crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the
Referee may award a goal.

In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been
displaced by the actions of a defending player, the puck must have been shot
(or the player must be in position to shoot) at the goal prior to the goal post
being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered
the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

When the goal post has been displaced deliberately by the defending
team when their goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker thereby
preventing an impending goal by the attacking team, the Referee shall
award a goal to the attacking team.

The goal frame is considered to be displaced if either or both goal
pegs are no longer in their respective holes in the ice, or the net has come
completely off one or both pegs, prior to or as the puck enters the goal. This
rule also applies to other types of net anchoring systems."

1 Like

Okay, the call makes a little more sense now. Thanks for the clarification pokecheck.

Even with that rule, I don’t agree with overturning the call. If the Ohio player had definitively fired the puck into the empty net I could see them overturning it, but in this scenario he kind of whiffed on it, goalie got a piece of it, and ultimately the puck ended up pretty far off in the corner.

The two main angles they used told two stories as well in my opinion. The main broadcast shot looked like it would have gone in either way, but the goal cam looked like it would have been close or gone wide.

Didn’t seem like there was enough evidence “that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts” to change the call, but that’s the way it goes sometimes!

I had a pretty good viewing angle on the play from my seat, and while I haven’t seen any replays and I wanted Stony Brook to win, I am certain the puck crossed between where the posts would’ve been.

The refs spent more time looking at that replay than any others I’ve seen them review. I thought the call on the ice would stand because the net was well off before the puck crossed the line, but if the refs are scrutinizing a play with video review, it’s hard not to give them the benefit of the doubt that they got it right.

It’s a shitty way to go out, though. I feel real bad for them. And I know they have some gripes about the rest of the officiating that I sympathize with as well.

The main issue with the play from one replay I saw was that the One Ohio Forwards left leg seemed to interfere with the Stony Brook goalie as well as his left leg is what took the net off. That means that the rule book definition is null because it was not the defending team who dislodged the net. Very disappointing to see a call like that knock out Stony Brook let alone any team for that matter.

So, if I’m counting points correctly, here are the leaders going into the finals…
(using # of correct picks as a tie-breaker)

1. 330 (15 correct picks) – BigPimpin
  2. 310 (14 correct picks) – batman
  3. 290 (12 correct picks) – jwilson
  4. 270 (13 correct picks) – Boris34
  5. 270 (11 correct picks) – tom_ass29
  6. 240 (13 correct picks) – Pitman11k & fishbert
  7. n/a
  8. 220 (11 correct picks) – puckchk
  9. 140 (7 correct picks) – bromigo

The only people who can gain points are those who picked either Ohio or UCO as champion:
Ohio – jwilson
UCO – puckchk & tom_ass29

If Ohio is champion, jwilson wins with 390 points.
If UCO is champion, tom_ass29 wins with 370 points and puckchk moves up to 3rd with 320 points.