ACHA versus CHF

Coach…Thats how the ACHA hopes you move forward. They can’t “not allow” two USAH insured programs to play. USAH would drop a hammer on that, but they sure will discourage it. Funny how the CHF can make it work but not the ACHA…my $0.02

1 Like

Some of you are clowns and so uninformed… You are all missing the point… Every member of the ACHA board should resign immediately, for failure to do what they were elected to do. And anyone who supports what happened today should be ashamed of themselves. What occurred today was an absolute abomination of leadership, and I’m sick to my stomach about it. This isn’t a game, this involves kids and a ton of history and tradition… Listen to the story, not from your fixed, “tunnel vision” perspective, but from the common sense perspective, right wrong or indifferent…

The CHF guys try and get everyone the right to vote at Naples, and the D1 guys and guys who want to continue to benefit from the status quo, make sure it doesn’t happen, so the CHF guys announce they’re doing their own thing. Rather then the ACHA attempt to resolve issues raised by concerned members, they let the group leave Florida pissed, ready to start their own thing. The ACHA is a service based 501c3, not a dictatorship, and they only served themselves in Naples… First Mistake… They should have locked the group in a room and hammered it out until it was resolved. Failure of Leadership!

The ACHA responds to the CHF’s conference call campaign and email blast, not by calling for a meeting to again resolve or address issues, rather they take the approach of handling it with the launching of the “They, will not have insurance campaign”, which was ridiculous, 100% not accurate and borderline illegal… Then the ACHA, for the first time in 25 years, announces that you need to declare allegiance while school is not in session in the middle of July. These two brilliant moves scare the shit out of a ton of programs and people who maybe didn’t know the whole story, and heard something, or saw something and fear that scheduled games aren’t going to count, or that their whole league may leave. But again, instead of the ACHA trying to clear the air and resolve anything, they throw fuel on the fire by sending out more bullshit emails about magic registration portals… They said the same shit about Pointstreak, how’d that work out? So what happens, the CHF confirms they’ll have legit insurance, will allow anybody to paly anybody, have a tournament, and corporate support, then decide to break Twitter on the ACHA’s July 12, D-Day… So, now in the Exec Dir’s first year, he sat at the helm of a vote to continue to disenfranchise 400 teams who couldn’t go to Naples for whatever reason and watched a new league form on the foundation that they will do everything the ACHA will not… How do you allow that to happen? Either you’re compromised or you just don’t care!

Here it is folks!!! The ACHA lost an entire region of teams today! They lost two highly decorated conferences that have been a staple in D3 for more than 15 years, with a list of other conferences and teams that are sure to continue to grow over the weeks to come. The ACHA can’t recover from what they allowed today… Somebody’s going to have to make up a $200,000 hit, who do you think that’s’ going to be?

Well said. This isn’t the 1st attempt at alternative league. Why is the MCLA run so much better than the ACHA?

This is all about $$$$$ in my opinion

I don’t have the energy as a lot of these people starting the CHF but I think CHF would have a legitimate lawsuit against USAHockey and ACHA. You would need an lawyer that is a expert in the Sherman Act. Heck, the USFL defeated the NFL in court. Right now, there is a NASL vs USSF lawsuit going on that I would pay close attention to and see the end result.

This is what I would do besides looking at my legal options:

1. Contact DAZN and ESPN+ to cover nationals
  2. Start a junior college division - heck NJCAA had a 4 team national championship with 7 total teams for years
  3. Publish your budget and actuals monthly
  4. Have a player board think “SAAC” a few schools have student athletic directors that are actual students
  5. Go after the NAIA schools
  6. Stay away the D1 standards that don’t get followed anyways
  7. The regional idea is fine but the problem is each division has teams that play up because their of location.
  8. You need different options, I think it’s crazy to ask a new team to pluck down ACHA dues when they have zero chance to make nationals. I think the CHE and UNYCHL both have the right idea.

What I would do is have the myh rankings take the top 8 that is your national tournament for the top division then the next 8 is your D2 championship. This way you’ll mix up nationals each year, more opportunity for the .500 teams.

If you think refs are doing this for a living, and use USAH insurance as a primary insurance, you are really misinformed on what USAH insurance is and how it works… again, no one has answered me on why we are so infatuated with USAH insurance as a secondary insurance. Is it because they are monopolizing the market? I go yes.

I know of at least two that do this as a living - hockey in the winter, soccer or baseball in the summer.

K&k insurance picks up after your primary insurance doesn’t, if you don’t have a primary insurance- what is k &k then?

But yes the secondary insurance is bs…is it void if 1 player doesn’t have insurance?

So the thing with USAH insurance is it is only valid if your opponents have USAH insurance, so they have created a system that forces all teams to utilize one insurance carrier to have valid insurance. This has created a monopoly by USAH insurance. Insurance is not suppose to work like this. Insurance is suppose to protect the premium payers regardless of outside factors.

I coach a team that has secondary insurance from our university that will continue to insure my players regardless of my opponents insurance and that how it should be. Players, coaches, refs should be able to get insurance that protects them regardless of what other teams carry. USAH insurance is a bad policy with little benefit for those that have tried to utilize it. USAH insurance on a per person basis is more expensive than other secondary insurance carriers but since they created a monopoly, they can charge what they want. Several years ago E.D. Walley at the time was thinking of moving to Northwestern insurance to cut costs for teams, get proper insurance without these requirements of having matching insurance carriers but shockingly that was thrown out the window. Wonder why? Kick backs?

If you’re saying is true, is USAHockey insurance invalid vs ncaa and cis teams?

Aau would take the entire acha for $14 and $16 per player and coach

As with an legal contract you can get signed and approved waivers or amendments to a contract especially if the ncaa/cis vs ACHA is limited in games. They may be reviewed on game by game scenario. This may be the case. That is a question for USAH insurance directly.

Interesting, they’re making exceptions to everyone but “rival”? If you talk to ACHA D1 coaches, they will talk about their advantages over NCAA d3 in their recruiting pitch. If I’m a lawyer I’d argue ncaa is a rival and the exceptions are being made.

Discovery would be fun anyways? I hope the CHF, gets an aggressive nyc lawyer if they pursue the legal route.

I am pro CHF because i am worried about bad financial management from ACHA but the back and forth needs to stop. The tic for tack is what concerns most coaches. Two different governing bodies with two different views. Agree to disagree and move forward.

1 Like

CHF needs to gut it out and have successful first year to move forward with a reduced cost. If they have a good 1st year, they can grab another few conferences and really chip away at the ACHA. By the way, the web site needs to be up. Not a good look.

I’ll bet anything that USAHockey has already contacted the predators and promised some type of USAHockey event like the all American prospects Game.

Reviewing the “list of teams and leagues” on the CHF twitter feed and you will not find one team of significance in my opinion. Question… have any of the teams joining the CHF ever won a National Championship with the ACHA or even been close?

If this is just all of the bottom feeder teams leaving the ACHA, then the ACHA just became a better organization. We needed a purge as we were serving too many that were not aligned with making the ACHA as competitive as possible.

Going to be hard to sell the CHF champions as “National Champions”… more like friendly showcase winners. Good for them though… everyone deserves to have fun and there is really no place in the ACHA for teams that are not competitive.

1 Like

Please refer back to post 6 on this thread almost a month ago… 60 teams, most bottom feeders… D3 National Championship game will be Farmingdale vs Fairfield.

DVCHC’s D2 Divison is god awful and without the likes of George Mason and Rowan in their D3 top Divison, that should be a mess.

Jay Turk - you could find your Stockton Osprey in the National Semi-Finals!!

1 Like

The only other D2 leagues I’ve heard of leaving is the UNYHL… and the ACCHL, and as of yesterday, there was at least 3 ACCHL teams who I was told were staying in the ACHA.

May I remind you that of the 534 teams in the ACHA, more than 450 teams are non-post season qualifying and I’d bet the majority of them would be considered in your opinion, non-significant.

You see sir… You and your ridiculous “gym class hero” elitist attitude is the problem. You donkey, this is club hockey, no matter how much smoke you blow up your own ass! The biggest group in USA Hockey’s adult division! Who are you fooling!

1 Like

Hey boys…great to see the “opinions”, but you guys just reinforce the reasoning behind everything that’s taking place…
Dreamcrusher…thanks for signing up 10 hours ago to post 9 hours ago glad to have your thoughts? on the topic. I guess the “bottom feeder” term is a jab, but it just illustrates the divide and arrogance of the ACHA today. You must be drinking the kool-aid or just uninformed if you think 100 plus teams leaving a 500plus team organization is positive. Your “purge” comment sounds D1 ish . National Champions/CHF champions it will cover this years footprint. It will again next year when the footprint grows. Maintain your stance and opinion its why the CHF exists.
Chiz…update your search brotha…I love those Stockton boys but I turned that program over a few years ago

Don’t be so sure on UNYCHL a lot remains to be seen.
Yes, almost the entire membership looks to prefer the CHF, but seeing is believing. Several clubs are considering doing both organizations (ones who have the budget and talent).

1 Like

Would be silly if UNYCHL didn’t jump.

Also, why don’t teams join both?

Cali…there are a number of teams considering being in both, however the ACHA leadership has sent word it won’t bode well for those that do…or those that play CHF teams regardless of USAH. We’ll see

ACCHL is staying put in the ACHA.

On another note, the double registration is interesting and could be a very good thing for all parties. You do have a ton of teams that just aren’t ready to compete on a higher level in D2 ACHA and this could give them another outlet. It also takes any questions off the table about insurance, rankings, games counting etc. CHF with their low overhead (no one is getting paid) should be able to keep CHF registration costs low enough so it is not cost prohibitive for teams to double registration. They also have a decent amount of D3 teams registered and maybe a few D2 teams. They have a great year with what is essentially a control group and maybe three things happen. 1) They entice more teams to leave by having a great yea 2) The ACHA realizes they do need to make some of these changes so more teams do not leave and addresses them, which is a win for all. If the marriage you are in can be saved and made healthy, that is always the best option. 3) ACHA makes changes but the CHF shows their is still a market need for another competitive level option and they co-exist and the CHF essentially puts on a NIT type tournament, which again would be great as not many D2 teams have a chance to compete with the likes of FGCU and company. One thing I have not seen from either side is addressing “pseudo club programs.” That creates another level of disparity or does that need a whole new thread…

1 Like