M3 Pacific Region

The final ranking period is almost over! Any thoughts on whether or not there will be any major shake-ups? As I see it, Iowa State will certainly remain #1. With Marquette losing 5 of their last 8 games, does this open the door for a team like Missouri State, CSU, or even Bradley?

Missouri State lost this weekend to Marquette so probably won’t leapfrog Marquette; however, CSU has been looking strong since their early season trip to Michigan having only lost 2 games since October and has been creeping up on the top ranked teams since the first ranking period. If anyone were to take the #2 spot from Marquette that would be my guess. Bradley might be a little too far back but they did split with Marquette a few weekends ago.

For kicks and giggles this is what I might put as the top 10:

1. Iowa State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Marquette
  4. Missouri State
  5. Bradley
  6. Nebraska
  7. Aurora
  8. Air Force
  9. Wisconsin-Platteville
  10. Colorado Mesa

Thoughts?

I think your assessment is spot on. Iowa State is the clear #1. After that, it gets a little hazy.

CSU played a much tougher schedule than Marquette. They capped it off by going 4-0-1 against ranked D2 opponents down the stretch - #5 Northern Colorado, #10 MSU Denver, #13 Arizona St. Marquette ended the season going 4-5-0, with losses to #1 Iowa State, #5 Bradley, unranked Vanderbilt (2x), #9 Michigan (D2). IMO, CSU has the edge.

4/5 could be a coin flip between MSU and Bradley - edge to MSU based solely on overall win/loss record.

I think you nailed the teams. Not sure about that order - I haven’t seen much of the Colorado teams - but edge goes to Nebraska over Aurora, Aurora over UWP. Air Force and Mesa could fit into any one of those spots 6-10.

Outside looking in: Colorado School of Mines - 2 losses to Air Force down the stretch hurt.

Dark horse: RMU Peoria - much better than record indicates; close losses to #3 Missouri State & #5 Bradley, swept #10 Loyola, win & OTL vs #14 Arkansas down the stretch.

1 Like

Not a lot of pacific chatter this year! Glad to see it!

I agree with your top three. Iowa State is definitely the top dog. They beat the teams they need to beat and I think have proven themselves to be number 1. CSU has had a loaded D2 schedule this semester and have only lost to the number 4 team in the D2 West. Granted the West isn’t the best conference in D2 but I still think their schedule is the hardest in the Pacific. Marquette is right there but honestly they haven’t played (or beaten) anybody that has impressed me. The Michigan win was big but they lost the next night 9-1 so either they didn’t show up or Michigan didn’t show up the first night and I am going to assume the latter. What sticks out the most to me is the two losses to unranked Vanderbilt… Add that to splitting with Bradley doesn’t help.

I think Missouri State will be 4 followed by Nebraska and then Bradley. Missouri State hasn’t been Impressive enough to jump Marquette and Nebraska has played well this semester. They didn’t have a good showing in Peoria but I think they’ve done enough to move up. Bradley on the other hand has been losing more than they’ve been winning. The Marquette win looks nice but still doesn’t make up for going 4-6 in their last 10 games.

The rest is a crap shoot… UW Platteville will drop back but still make it to regionals and I think Mesa will make the trip to Wisco at the end of the month.

1. Iowa State
  2. Colorado State
  3. Marquette
  4. Missouri State
  5. Nebraska
  6. Bradley
  7. Aurora
  8. Air Force
  9. Colorado Mesa
  10. UW-Platteville