Welfare check on Delaware?

I already addressed that issue above. They don’t have to allow anyone to play a club sport, but once they do, then they have to follow their own rules and regulations to remove that privilege.

[quote=“pokecheck, post:19, topic:477”]
My entire argument is that suspending the team before giving them notice and an opportunity to be heard is a violation of due process rights.[/quote]As far as I know, no students have been suspended. Halting a club’s activities is not the same thing as suspending people. Sports club personhood is not a thing.

[quote=“pokecheck, post:19, topic:477”]You seem to think that the school can suspend anyone they want for just about any alleged violation.[/quote]Not sure where you get that impression; if anything, I’ve indicated exactly the opposite. And again, as far as I know, no students have been suspended. (Not to say there won’t be any students suspended after the well-defined process they’re still in the middle of following runs its course.)

I’m less and less inclined to continue this discussion if we’re going to keep getting hung up on basic semantics and if you’re going to try and put words in my mouth. It’s pointless to go around in these same circles, anyway… they’ve got a lawyer; let them hash it out in court and then we can all read the judge’s decision.

I think fish get’s the point. Schools set up the rules so they can remove the club. That is completely different than remove each and every player. Two totally different things.

1 Like

Well you guys are free to believe whatever you want to believe, semantics be damned. It’s pretty clear there’s no changing your mind, and I’m fine with that. My audience is much broader.

It’s a common misconception that Universities can do pretty much whatever they want (in this case shut down a club sport because of the mere allegation of wrongdoing). I’m here to dispel that myth. In reality, the schools usually do whatever they want and nobody calls them on it. But for any players, coaches, or parents, reading this, know that you have rights. When challenged on these issues the school rarely prevails and usually that’s because they haven’t taken the time to follow their own procedures and document each step. I have literally litigated these very issues in state and federal courts and it almost always comes down to matters of procedure. I’ve been retired from legal practice for a few years now, but that doesn’t meant I don’t still get worked up when I seen an obvious injustice.

1 Like

Go get 'em, tiger.
Come out of retirement and stick it to the man.
:notes: Rocky theme :notes:

I noticed UDel on a couple of schedules. Looks as if they will be back in action for the upcoming season:

http://udreview.com/mens-ice-hockey-accepts-guilt-suspension-lifted-may-31/

Glad to see they’re coming back. No matter your thoughts on the seriousness (or lack thereof) of this issue, a permanent, or year long suspension, seemed like overkill.

It sucks the way it played out that they did not get to go to their league playoffs or Nationals, but that’s at least a somewhat proportional punishment.

-jwilson