D2 Midseason Rankings

Since we are coming close to the holiday break, here are my Top 10 teams in each region, and my national Top 10

Central

1. Aurora
  2. Trine
  3. Grand Valley
  4. McKendree
  5. Marian
  6. Lindenwood
  7. Michigan
  8. Adrian
  9. Minnesota
  10. St Louis

Southeast

1. Penn State
  2. Florida Gulf Coast
  3. Miami
  4. Liberty
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Toledo
  7. Delaware
  8. Maryland
  9. Rider
  10. Rowan

Northeast

1. William Patterson
  2. Umass Amherst
  3. Keene State
  4. Northeastern
  5. New Hampshire
  6. Providence
  7. St Anselm
  8. Boston College
  9. Maine
  10. Marist

West

1. Williston State
  2. Northern Arizona
  3. Utah State
  4. Northern Colorado
  5. Boise State
  6. Denver
  7. Metro State
  8. Grand Canyon
  9. Weber State
  10. Arizona State

National

1. Penn State
  2. Florida Gulf Coast
  3. Aurora
  4. William Patterson
  5. Trine
  6. Umass Amherst
  7. Grand Valley
  8. McKendree
  9. Williston State
  10. Marian

I only follow the Central. Like what you have but no way GVSU should be ahead of McK. McK has two wins not in last weeks rankings. i bet the go back on top this week.

4 of the top 10 Nationally ranked teams you have are varsity fully funded teams. Must be nice.

Anybody notice differences in the rankings formula this year?

One big change is that only games against D2 opponents count. Can’t count games against D1 or D3.

I was told the same thing for this season but if you look at the records, it appears all ACHA games are included, regardless of division.

no, only D2 games count

PSU’s only loss was to D1 WVU.

I see that, good for them.

For whatever reason, the rankings show each team’s entire record (D1 + D2 + D3), but the rating only includes D2 games. That is why PSU’s win percentage is 100% and that number is used in their rating. SoS + AGD + Win% = Rating.

Interesting tidbit: Forfeited games don’t appear to be included in the ratings. GVSU forfeited two earlier against Bradley for using an ineligible player and those aren’t part of their rating (actually forfeited 6, but 3 were against non-D2 teams). If they were included, GVSU would be 5th in the Central, not 3rd. What is kind of funny is that if the Bradley games were actually included (2-2 tie and 5-2 win), GVSU’s rating would also go down. But since they’re just pulled altogether, GVSU gets a higher rating.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that.

Last year you could view the individual game details to see how strongly a particular game affected the ranking. Is that info available anywhere?

Not that I can find. It does still seem to be there for the other Rankings, like this random example: Team Information - MYHockey

Not sure why it isn’t there for ACHA teams, but perhaps it has something to do with having to pull certain results (games against D1 and/or D3 teams) before the calculations. Probably a question for whoever runs that site/the rankings. That said, it wouldn’t be all that hard to recreate it manually for a given team knowing the current ratings for each team and individual game results.